Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Music in my mind

I stumbled out of bed
I got ready for the struggle
I smoked a cigarette
And I tightened up my gut
I said this can’t be me
Must be my double

– Leonard Cohen, I Can't Forget

Annoyingly, every morning I wake up there's a song in my head that won't go away until I play it. Then it goes away, eventually. It's different every day; the last week was like this:

Monday: Grace Jones – La Vie en rose
No, not Lady Gaga’s recent version in A Star is Born; no, not Edith Piaf’s version of it, though she wrote it; Grace Jones' 1977 version is the definitive version for me. And the one I heard in the shower and had to sing.
Tuesday: Bob Dylan – True Love Tends to Forget
Wednesday: Simon and Garfunkel – I am a Rock
Thursday: Gloria Gaynor – I Will Survive
Friday: Dire Straits – Romeo and Juliet
Saturday: Bob Dylan – Black Jack Davey
Sunday: Leonard Cohen – I Can't Forget

No comments :