Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lookalikes #23: Ingmar and Ingrid Bergman


They both had the same surname; they both came from Sweden; they both worked in the movies. They were not related in any way.

Ingmar Bergman (1918-2007), serious, weighty, intellectual filmmaker, praised by everyone from Woody Allen to Andrei Tarkovsky. Made many great films including Wild Strawberries, The Seventh Seal and Persona. His films are long and intense but well-worth watching. From 2014, his face will appear on the new Swedish 200 kronor banknote.

Ingrid Bergman (1915-1982), actress, starred in such classics as Casablanca, Notorious, Stromboli and Voyage to Italy. Ousted from the States after her affair with Roberto Rossellini, she returned triumphantly in 1956 with Anastasia, winning her second Oscar.

Ingrid actually acted in one of Ingmar's films, Autumn Sonata (1978). I wonder if there was any confusion on set.

Don't worry, I will stop doing these Lookalikes (or should that be Soundalikes, one keen reader quipped to me the other day) soon. I realise it's like my own private joke in public. Just humour me.

No comments :